12.01.2009

Traditions and A Christmas Carol



I absolutely LOVE this time of year! The weather is getting colder, basketball season is here, and Christmas is just around the corner!!! Now, I know my family is strange in many ways, but one of the things that makes us so close is the fact that we have many family traditions that we do this time of year. I want to share with you one of the many...simply because it is so special to me personally.

About 9 - 10 years ago (depends on who you ask) my family began going to see A Christmas Carol live at the Alliance Theater downtown at Christmas. If you have never gone, it is truly one of the best plays you will ever see!!! For years we have taken many people with us to share in this family tradition. However, 4 years ago it was even more special. December 3rd, 2005 was the day that I asked Mattie to be my wife. I did it after an incredible steak dinner at a nice restaurant. On the way to the play Mattie said, "I really thought you were going to propose at dinner tonight!" With my heart beating out of my chest, I simply replied, "I told you...just wait, I have a plan of when I want to do it!" Little did she know that the others who went with us that year ALL knew what was about to happen (that year we took 48 people total!!!).

At any rate, here we are 4 years later (she did say "Yes") and this past weekend we went to see the play again. It was awesome as usual. But it made me wonder...part of the reason it is so special is because of the tradition. I just tagged onto it to make it a more memorable evening. But every year, we go back down memory lane and remember that day 4 years ago. It's a great memory!

My Pops always says, "Let's make a memory"...what are some of your traditions that your family does that helps make memories for your kids? As we enter into the holiday season...have you considered starting another tradition for your family this year? I love stories and I love traditions...share with me some of yours!

Keith Wages
Children's Pastor
770.466.4250 ext. 246
kwages@fbcloganville.org

1 comment:

  1. We have 2. One my mom started so long ago I can't remember how long we've done it. It's a Cookie Bake. My mom, sister, me and Savannah bake all kinds of goodies, then make them into platters that we share with friends and family. The guys in the family are our "official" taste testers.

    The 2nd tradition I started a few years ago. During Advent, instead of reading the same ole bedtime stories, I have a collection of books that are specifically for Christmas. Some years I wrap the books and the kids open a new one each night, and other times I just pile them in a basket next to the fireplace. We have hot cocoa or milk and cookies, and read stories about the season of giving. The kids love it and so do I.

    ReplyDelete